November 2, 2016 Featured

Written by:

Lauren Patrick is a native Southerner and the editor of Pretty Southern.com. She’s a member of the Atlanta Blogger Network and Atlanta Food Blogger Society. #LovetheSouth #GoDawgs Follow Lauren on Twitter

Jonathan Alexander Newton, Alex, was murdered in his apartment at the Alexan EAV in Atlanta on Monday, Oct. 31, 2016. Alex was only 30 years old. He had come home on his lunch break and walked in on a home invader at his apartment. The perpetrator then shot him to death before running. Here’s the video of the suspect caught on security camera:

Alex’s friends and family have set up a GoFundMe to raise money to add to the CRIME STOPPERS reward money so that this perpetrator doesn’t stay on the run for long. Please help by donating and sharing the YouTube video so we can bring Alex’s murderer to justice!

Courtesy of his family, here’s more about the amazing Alex Newton:

alex_newtown_victim_alexan_eav_murder

Alex was the middle child of Joseph Betts (Joe) and Beth Candler Newton. He was born on July 21, 1986. He grew up in Thomson, Georgia, where he was an active member of the First United Methodist Church of Thomson.

As a youth, Alex loved acting, modeling, and was part of a State Champion Team in both gymnastics and tennis. He acted in several plays with the Augusta Players and spent one summer in New York City with his mother developing his love of theatre. He was an active member of the First United Methodist Church youth group and a proud member of Boy Scout Troop 125 and was the recipient of an Eagle Scout Award.

Alex was a graduate of Augusta Christian School and attended Brevard College and Augusta Technical College. As an avid outdoorsman, Alex had multiple interests including fly fishing, hunting, mountain biking, kayaking, and camping on the family farm. He also enjoyed cooking and woodworking. He was employed by Newton Construction Group in Atlanta, Georgia.

In addition to his parents, Alex is survived by his brother, Trey Newton of Atlanta, sister, Taylor Newton of Thomson, paternal grandmother Sara Newton, numerous aunts, uncles, cousins, and special friend, Sarah Read.

Visitation will be held on Friday evening November 4th at the Newton residence in Thomson, GA from 6-8 p.m. A memorial service celebrating Alex’s life will be held at 11:00 a.m., Saturday, November 5th at First United Methodist Church, Thomson, Georgia.

25 Responses to “Justice for Alex Newton – Murder at Alexan EAV”

1. Elizabeth Sisson Smith

My thoughts and prayers are with this lifelong family that has always been special to me.

2. Marsha McCorkle Cerca and Ben Cerca

Our hearts aches for your family. Please accept our condolences for the loss of a beautiful life.

3. Tammy Talkington

I am deeply in sorrow to hear of Alex’s passing. Such a tragic event to hear. I pray for Beth, Bubba, Trey and Taylor… I can’t imagine why anyone would do such a terrible thing. May God wrap Alex in his arms and somehow give his family a peace to know he is with our savior. God Bless

4. Dwight King Jr.

I love you Alex you are going to truly be missed by many people! I believe in God and I know that He doesn’t make mistakes but in cases like this, it is really hard to believe. I am so SORRY YOU ARE GONE. I will ALWAYS make sure my son remembers his God-Father! To the petty excuse of skin who did this to my FRIEND, I hope you see his face EVRY SINGLE SECOND OF YOUR MISERABLE LIFE! Dealing with the fact of knowing that he forgives you and he was a GREAT MAN and PERSON to know. If you had the kind of friends he did you wouldn’t be stealing from people. You surely would not have killed my friend he would have offered you anything you NEEDED!!!

5. Tommy

This is my nephew. Love is greater with a family. Alex was good to Everyone. We will miss seeing him grow more in this life. Thanks for the outpouring of support to our family.

6. Greg Royal

I will never forget this tragic event. I can’t believe it. Bubba, I still have our class picture from when we were in the first grade sitting side by side bc we were the shortest in the class. 🙂 We have been friends since then. Now we live in the same neighborhood. I remember Alex and my daughter Denise were friends. I saw him often around the neighborhood. He was always kind and polite. I worry everyday for the the safety of our children. I pray for their safety. It’s the thing I worry about most. I am so sorry this has happened to your family. My sorrow and prayers for you are forever embedded in my heart.

7. Katy Hays Ledford

Thoughts and prayers are with Alex’s wonderful family. I am truly saddened to hear this news.

8. Dawn Garrett

My heart pours out for this family …….This Is A Very Sad & Tragic ….FATHER GOD I ASK OF YOU TO FLOW THROUGH THIS FAMILY LIKE A RAGING RIVER,,,LET THEM FEEL YOUR PRESENCE, GIVE THEM THE COMFORT AND PEACE ,,GIVE THEM THE STRENGTH THEY’RE GONNA NEED AS THEY LAY THEIR BLESSING FROM GOD TO REST …..MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS ARE WITH EACH AND EVERYONE OF THEM…..FATHER GOD I ALSO BEG OF YOU TO LET THEM FIND THE PERPETRATOR THAT DID THIS TO A GUY WHO WOULD OF GAVE HIM EVERYTHING THEY WANTED OR NEEDED I SO PRAY HE NEVER GETS ANOTHER CHANCE HOPE HE GETS LIFE WITH NO PAROLE OR DEATH SENTENCE THIS INNOCENT YOUNG MAN DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE SO NEITHER SHOULD THIS SCUMBAG WHO DID IT ….THIS GUY LOST HIS LIFE TO ANOTHER COLD HEARTED SORRY GOOD FOR NOTHING GROWN MAN WHO CHOOSES TO ROB AND KILL VERSUS GETTING A JOB ….IT JUST AMAZES AND FURIATES ME TO NO END HOW?????WHY???? COULD YOU TAKE A INNOCENT MANS LIFE THAT WOULD OF GAVE YOU ANYTHING TO SAVE HIS LIFE….AGAIN MY CONDOLENCES ARE WITH THIS FAMILY PRAYING WITHOUT CEASE THAT THEY GET JUSTICE GIVING YOU ALL THE PRAISE AND GLORY N YOUR PRECIOUS NAME I PRAY AMEN

9. Judson Jones

No words can express the sorrow and hurt I feel for all of you. My thoughts and prayers will be with you this weekend especially, but also for the many weekends in the future to come.
    Peace, Love and Blessings to all of you!

10. Kristy Lyon

Remembering today a young man full of laughter and joy. Every moment spent with him was one well spent. I am so thankful to have known and taught Alex. His smile and curly hair are forever with me. Praying for all of his family and friends.

11. Kate Cotrona Krumm

I am so sorry for Alex’s family. I lost my beloved brother three and a half years ago in East Atlanta when he was also shot during a robbery. I know the pain you are all feeling, and you have my deepest condolences. Please feel free to reach out to me via Facebook if you would like, whenever you are ready. Sincerest regards, Kate Cotrona Krumm

12. Kendra Upson-Williams

Life is filled with swift transition; hold to God’s unchanging hand. So sorry for the loss of Alex. May the good Lord in His mysterious way grant you peace and understanding on this day and in days to come. Continued blessings …..

13. Nancy Whitaker Felton

Praying for this family that I grew up with and love so much! My heart breaks for you! I also pray that the horrible person responsible will be captured and justice will be done. Such a tragic and shameless loss of life. Lord wrap your Loving arms around this family and give them strength during this difficult time, help them and guide them with your tender loving care!

14. Nancy Whitaker Felton

Lord please give this family Strength and Love during this difficult time ! Help law enforcement to find the person who took life from a young man in such a senseless and tragic way!

15. Lisa A

Prayers for the family and friends. It is a shock to those who knew him. My deepest condolences for Bubba, Beth, Trevor, Taylor, and extended family. I know your faith is strong and God will see you through.

16. DEBRA W. BEAN-HUTSON

YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE IN MY FAMILY & FRIENDS PRAYERS. GOD PLEASE HELP THIS FAMILY IN THEIR TIME OF NEED. NOW THAT THE HOLIDAYS ARE HERE, MAKES IT EVEN WORSE. JUST THINK OF *ALEX* AS A ANGEL WATCHING OVER YOU. GOD ALWAYS TAKES THE GOOD ONES. RIP IN PEACE ALEX. YOU WERE ONE OF THE GREAT ONES.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1.  Uproar over murder at luxury apartments in EAV puts police, landlords under scrutiny – DecaturishDecaturish
  2.  $25,000 reward offered for info in Alexan EAV murder – DecaturishDecaturish